Monday, February 9, 2009

Dear Avery -- from the Bahamas

Dear Avery,

I am writing this from the Bahamas. I am looking out over the balcony -- the sun is shining, the palm trees are swaying, the ocean is glistening aqua blue. I miss you.

I keep thinking about what it would be like if you were here with us. I know you'd love all the bright colors -- the trees, the ocean, the gardens -- and I know you'd love the little kiddy pool. But here's what you'd hate --that fresh, strong ocean breeze and the beautiful, hard stone floor of our suite. And I know you'd just try to eat all the soft white sand.

I think we made the right choice to leave you with Nana and Papa.

Daddy and I are having a really good time. We've been snorkeling along the coral reef and seen Nemo up close and personal. We've had frozen cocktails right on the beach. We've floated on boogie boards and let the waves carry us wherever they've wanted us to go. We've gone running together barefoot on the white sandy beach. We've eaten fresh conch salad pulled right from the shell in front of our eyes. We've had fancy dinners, boat rides to tiny islands and cold drinks in the hot tub. We've been massaged head to toe, waited on hand and foot and treated like nothing less than royalty. As I type this, Daddy is taking a lazy afternoon nap and I am wrapped in my robe, fresh from a long hot bubble bath. This is the vacation of a life-time.

Still, though, the best part of my every day here is coming back to our suite to watch the little 30-second videos of you that Nana and Papa keep sending us. Beautiful, little, smiling you. I am going to be so happy to come home to you.

As much as I am missing you right now, I know that Daddy and I will return to you even better parents than when we left. A good parent is a happy parent. And a happy parent comes from a happy marriage. Taking time to do things together as a couple is just as important as tucking you in at night. This step back from reality has brought Daddy and I a step closer together. We are falling in love all over again.

Somebody once told me that the key to a happy marriage is to do just that -- find a way to fall in love over and over and over again. So far, I'd have to agree.

Love,
Mommy

No comments: