Friday, November 14, 2008

Dear Avery -- 7 weeks old

Dear Avery,

I have a story to tell you today. You have a sister. You are our first-born, yes. But there was a baby -- a life -- that came before you. You have an angel sister. She was created and loved and celebrated. But never born. She went from my tummy straight to heaven. And it was one year ago today that she got her angel wings.

You never got to know her. And neither did we. But she touched us all and left Daddy and I with so much. She gave us joy. She gave us strength. She gave us hope. And more than anything else, she left us with perspective. She taught us to grieve without shame. To appreciate. To love without reservation. To believe in miracles.

She touched a lot of other people too. Strangers. Her tiny little life, short as it was, had weight. She will not be forgotten. 

So today we remember. And we thank her for her precious gifts. In fact, I'm looking at her best gift right now. 

Yes, my sweet girl, she gave us you. 

I love you both so much.

Love,
Mommy

1 comment:

Valerie said...

That is beautiful. I feel the exact same way about my angel babies, but you said it more eloquently than I ever could. Avery is precious, and you're lucky to have each other.