Wednesday, November 26, 2008

Dear Avery -- 9 weeks old

Dear Avery,

Tomorrow is Thanksgiving. With all the hustle-bustle of your Grandma & Poppy coming to visit, I'm worried I won't have a minute to write to you. So I will do it now.

Thanksgiving is a time to reflect, a time to feel grateful for the things in your life. Last year at this time I struggled to feel thankful. My heart was broken and I thought I would never hold a beautiful baby in my arms and know that it was mine.

Today -- just one year later -- I hold you. You are fast asleep on my chest as I write this. I feel your tiny little foot kicking against my elbow and your tiny little fingers gripping on to my sweatshirt. And I hear you breathing in and out. You are so peaceful, so content. It is the most beautiful sound. 

I am thankful for your breath. Thankful for those tiny little fingers and toes. Thankful for all your smiles and your coos. 

I am thankful for you. More thankful than I could ever explain. Some day, when you hold a tiny child of your own, you will understand.

I am thankful for your wonderful daddy too. 

I am a lucky, lucky lady. I didn't know it a year ago. But I won't ever forget it now.

I love you sweet Avery.

Love,
Mommy

No comments: