Friday, January 23, 2009

Dear Avery -- tummy bug :(

Dear Avery,

It's been a rough week. You are sick with a tummy bug and it just seems to be lingering and lingering. Daddy had to go away to Maine for work so it's just me and you, sweetheart. 

Last night was the worst of it. (I hope) There I was with you in the bathroom. Both of us dripping in puke. A puddle on the floor. Your diaper filled with diarrhea. Your body arched in pain. Your screams breaking my heart. Your little helpless face begging me to fix it.

And it hit me.

This is motherhood. Raw and pure and true. This is what it's all about. I'm not a doctor. I'm not a magician. I have neither a prescription pad nor a magic wand. I can't always just make it all go away. The only thing I have to offer you is a mother's love. 

And in that smelly, messy, panicky moment, I had never loved you more. 

My job as your mother is to love the hell out of you. Literally. Love that tummy bug HELL right out of you. And so that's what I'm going to do. No matter how many sleepless nights, dirty diapers and loads of laundry it takes, I am going to love you back to health.

After I got us all cleaned up, I called Auntie Shannon to come over with some medicine. And then I wrapped you up in a towel and I held you close to me. And loved you.

By the time she got here, you were all smiles again. My happy little girl. The tummy bug isn't gone yet. You still don't feel so good. But even so, you are happy. 

And let me tell you, you are so very loved. 

Love,
Mommy

No comments: